Subramanian Swamy is an Indian Politician and economist, who serves as a Member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha. He is also known as one man army of politics. He has served as a member of the Planning Commission of India and was a Cabinet Minister in the Chandra Shekhar government. He was one of the founding members of Janata Party. He served as the party’s president since its inception in 1990 till 2013 when it got merged with the Bharatiya Janata Party. He was elected to the Lok Sabha five times between 1974 and 1999.
Personal Life :
Subramanian Swamy was born in Mylapore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. His father, Sitaraman Subramanian, was a bureaucrat and his mother, Padmavathi, was a homemaker. He has one younger brother, Ram Subramanian, as well as two younger sisters. He attended Hindu College, University of Delhi, from where he earned his bachelor’s degree in Mathematics. He then took his master’s degree in Statistics from the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. He obtained his PhD in Economics in 1965 from Harvard University. Also Read : Rajat Sharma Wiki, Bio, Age, Career and Personal Life
Swamy met Roxna Kapadia, an Indian lady of Parsi ethnicity who was studying PhD in mathematics at Harvard University. They were married in June 1966, and have two daughters. The elder daughter, Gitanjali Swamy is married to Sanjay Sarma. The younger daughter, Suhasini Haidar is married to Nadim Haidar. After obtaining PhD, He joined the Department of Economics at the Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences as an assistant professor. In 1969, he was made an associate professor. Thereafter, he moved to the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi and he was a full Professor of Mathematical Economics there from 1969 to 1970.
Political Career :
Swamy’s career started with his involvement in the Sarvodaya movement, which was an apolitical movement but which formed the foundation of the creation of Janata Party later. He was staunch opponent of Indira Gandhi. Bharatiya Jana Sangh sent him to Rajya Sabha. He was elected Member of Parliament 5 times between 1974 and 1999. In 1976, when the Emergency was still in force and an arrest warrant had been issued in his name, he came to Parliament to attend the session and managed to escape India after the session was adjourned.
During 1990 and 1991, Swamy served as a member of the Planning Commission of India and as Cabinet Minister of Commerce and Law. In the Narasimha Rao government, he was Chairman of the Commission on Labour Standards and International Trade, which was a Cabinet rank post. On 11 August 2013, he officially joined BJP when its president was Rajnath Singh. His admission to the party would mark the merger of the Janata Party with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Electoral History :
- 1974 – 76 – Member of Rajya Sabha from Uttar Praadesh on Jan Sangh Party ticket.
- 1977 – 80 – Member of Lok Sabha from Mumbai north east on Janata Party ticket
- 1980 – 84 – Member of Lok Sabha from Mumbai north east on Janata Party ticket
- 1988 – 94 – Member of Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh on Janata Party ticket
- 1998 – 99 – Member of Lok Sabha from Madurai on Janata Party ticket
- 2016 – Member of Rajya Sabha, Nominated
Court Petitions by Subramanian Swmay :
- In 1996, he had filed a criminal complaint against Jayalalithaa which led to her prosecution, conviction and sentencing to four years imprisonment by the trial court in 2014.
- In 1997, he filed a petition in the Supreme Court of India to strike down a provision which barred CBI from investigating corruption charges against officers of the rank of joint secretary and above without prior permission of the Government of India.
- He had filed a petition in the Supreme Court challenging the decision of the Madras High Court on transferring the administration of the Nataraja temple to the then Tamil Nadu government in 2009.
- He filed a petition to remove Kerala State government’s control over Hindu temples by abolishing Devaswom.
- On 1 November 2012, he alleged that both Sonia and Rahul Gandhi have committed fraud and land grabbing to a tune of ₹20 billion by acquiring a public ltd company called Associated Journals Private Ltd (National Herald case) through their owned private company, Young Indian. They are out on bail in this case.
- In Oct 2014, he filed a petition in Supreme Court praying for declaring Sections 499 and 500 of the Indian Penal Code that deal with criminal defamation as unconstitutional.
- On 22 February 2016, he filed a petition in the Supreme Court allowing construction of Rama temple at the disputed site.
- He obtained Supreme Court Stay against the implementation of Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project (SSCP). He believes that it would hurt the sentiments of people who believe that this shallow land connecting between Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka was built by Lord Rama.
Subramanian Swamy is well known for his critical views against the Aryan versus Dravidian politics of Periyar E. V. Ramasamy, calling it as the theory forwarded by the British. He made pioneering efforts towards India’s establishment of diplomatic relations with Israel. He has worked towards normalising relations between China and India. He, on several occasions, has voiced support for the state of Sri Lanka in its role during Sri Lanka’s protracted civil war with the LTTE, for which he was criticised as “pro Lanka” by his political opponents domestically. He is a strong supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump, endorsing Trump’s presidential candidacy in 2016 and comparing Trump to himself. Also Read : Narendra Modi Wiki, Bio, Age, Career and Personal Life
- Swamy released a letter alleging that former intelligence chief had asked DoT to tap the phone of many politicians and businessmen in Karnataka when Ramakrishna Hegde, the then Chief Minister, resigned in 1988.
- He erupted controversy with his tweet seeking the removal of former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan, adding that he is mentally not completely Indian.
- Just as the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was beamed by TV channels in Beijing wearing coat and tie, Swamy made yet another remark on his rival saying “BJP should direct our Ministers to wear traditional and modernized Indian clothes while abroad. In coat and tie, they look like waiters.
Hindu College, University of Delhi – Distinguished Alumni awar – 2012
Tamil Ratna 2016 – America Tamil Sangam
Wiki Bio :
|Date of Birth / Age :||15 September 1939|
|Nick Name :||Swamy|
|Full Name/Other Name/Real Name :||Subramanian Swamy|
|Birth Place :||Mylapore, Madras Presidency, India|
|Home Town :||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Current Place :||New Delhi, India|
|Height :||173 Cm|
|Weight :||76 Kg|
|Zodiac Sign / Sun Sign :||Virgo|
|Education :||B.Sc. Mathematics, M.Stat Statistics, PhD in Economics|
|College / University :||Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata; Delhi University, Harvard University|
|Profession :||Politician, Professor, Economist|
|Marital Status :||Married|
|Wife / Girlfriend / Affairs :||Roxna Swamy (1966)|
|Children :||Gitanjali Swamy, Suhasini Haidar|
|Parents :||Sitaram Subramanian (Father), Padmavati Subramanian (Mother)|
|Siblings :||Ram Subramanian (Brother)|
|Net Income :||N/A|
|Net Worth :||N/A|
|Political Party :||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Food Habit :||N/A|
|Favorite Actor :||N/A|
|Favorite Actress :||N/A|
|Present Address :||AB-14, Pandara Road, New Delhi, India|
|Permanent Address :||Door No. 1, Lal bahadur Shastri Road, Bibikulam, Madurai|
|Contact / Email :||N/A|
|Social Media Profile :||Twitter Facebook|
We will soon update you with more personal details. Please stay connected!
Disclaimer : We can not guarantee that the information on this page is hundred percent correct. If you think that any information is wrong or missing, please Contact Here, Comment below, Join Us on Twitter and Facebook or Mail us at email@example.com.